For a layman, accuracy and precision are equivalent words. However, to a man required in estimation, these two pass on various implications. While accuracy is ‘the condition of being right’, precision is ‘the condition of being careful’, individuals normally stir up the two. At the time of considering estimations, these two are constantly taken, because of their most extreme significance in the different field, in which they are utilized. For example, science, measurements, research and designing. Along these lines, we should take a look at the Difference Between Accuracy and Precision.
Comparison Table “Accuracy and Precision”
|Meaning||Accuracy alludes to the level of assent between the genuine estimation and the supreme measurement.||Precision infers the level of variety that lies in the estimations of a few estimations of a similar element.|
|Nature of Relationship||Something can be precise now and again as a fluke. For something to be reliably and dependably exact, it should likewise be precise.||Results can be exact without being precise. On the other hand, results can be exact AND precise.|
|Represents||How nearly result concur with the standard value?||How nearly the outcomes concur with each other?|
|What it Measures?||Degree of conformity||Degree of reproducibility|
|How Many Factors?||Single factor||Multiple elements|
|Measure of||Statistical bias||Statistical changeability|
|Concerned with||Systematic Error||Random Error|
What is the Difference Between Accuracy and Precision?
Meaning of Accuracy
By the term ‘accuracy‘, we mean the level of consistence with the standard estimation, i.e. to which degree the genuine estimation is near the standard one, i.e. bulls-eye. It quantifies the rightness and closeness of the outcome in the meantime by contrasting it with the supreme esteem. In this way, the nearer the estimation, the higher is the level of accuracy. It fundamentally relies on upon the way; information is gathered.
Read Also: Difference Between Area and Volume
Meaning of Precision
Precision speaks to the consistency or repeatability in the estimations. It is the level of perfection, in the execution of an operation or the strategies used to acquire the outcomes. It gauges the degree to which the outcomes are near each other, i.e. at the point when the estimations are grouped together. In this way, the higher the level of precision the less is the variety between estimations. For example: Precision is the point at which a similar spot is hit, over and over, which is not really the right spot.
Key Differences Between Accuracy and Precision
- The precision of a trial, protest, or esteem is a measure of the unwavering quality and consistency. The accuracy of an analysis, question, or esteem is an estimation of how nearly comes about concur with the genuine or acknowledged esteem.
- The level of assent between the real estimation and the complete estimation is called accuracy. The level of variety that lies in the estimations of a few estimations of a similar component is called as precision
- Accuracy speaks to the closeness of the estimation with the genuine estimation. In contrast, precision demonstrates the proximity of an individual estimation with those of the others.
- Accuracy is the degree if similarity, i.e. the degree to which estimation is right when contrasted with the outright esteem. Quite the opposite, precision is the level of reproducibility, which clarifies the consistency of the estimations.
- The Accuracy depends on a solitary component, though precision depends on more than one element.
- Accuracy is a measure of factual inclination while precision is the measure of factual changeability.
- Accuracy concentrates on orderly mistakes, i.e. the mistakes brought on by the issue in the instrument. As against this, precision is worried with irregular mistake, which happens intermittently with no conspicuous example.
The Difference Between Accuracy and Precision Conclusion
Along these lines, if the genuine estimation is high in accuracy and precision, the outcome would be free from blunders. In the occasion that the genuine estimation is exact however erroneous, then the outcome is in conflict with the normal one. When the real outcome is precise however uncertain, then there are gigantic varieties in the estimations. Lastly, if the genuine estimation is neither exact nor exact, then the outcome would need rightness and precision in the meantime.
Wikipedia: Accuracy and Precision
Antarctic Glaciers: Precision and accuracy in glacial geology